Have you ever heard the Two Sauce Theory about certain supposedly delicious Italian restaurants in NYC's Little Italy? You know, one sauce is the jar of store bought Ragu Chunky Style they serve to kids and tourists, and the other sauce is what they serve to customers they respect. They get the real thing--that lovingly simmered family recipe marinara for which the restaurant is renowned.
I am not what you might call a Mad Men tourist. I pay attention and think about the show. I love discussing each episode and making predictions for the next, and every Monday I look forward to checking out what The Slate folks think.
My point here, Matthew Weiner, is that I have this nagging feeling that you served me the Tourist Ragu version of a Mad Men season finale. Ok, that's fine, you've effed with me. Hah hah. Now, where's the real Mad Men sauce?!
After thinking about this for a couple of days and discussing it with Mr. Grits (who suddenly defends the finale), I've realized that I don't so much have a problem with what *happened* in that episode as I have a problem with the fact *that it was the finale.*
ReplyDelete