Thursday, September 16, 2010

Partially vegetarian shrimp & grits on the fly




I'm doing a lot of whipping up tonight. Whipped up a blog, then whipped up a fancy dinner in honor of the blog. I think the word "grits" is like that "bloody mary" game where if you repeat it (type it) so many times it absolutely has to materialize. 

There are tons of variations on the Shrimp and Grits theme, but I like to improvise, and just happened to have some good fixins on hand tonight. If you don’t like measuring or planning ahead, but do like delicious calories (I mean, um, energy), read on friend, read on…

Grits:
Follow grits instructions. Do not use instant grits. As anyone who’s ever seen My Cousin Vinny knows, “no self-respecting southerner uses instant grits.”  (In this context, the word “southerner” means “human.”)

Add salt, butter, and a little cream or milk and stir. (Stir a lot and vigorously to keep grits from sticking to the bottom of the pot. This is the exercise portion of the meal-making.)

Shrimps, etc:
Pan-fry one diced bell pepper, onion and bacon bits* in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and/or butter until translucent. (This is the semi-veg part. Bacos are remarkably bacon-free, but if you want to use real bacon, you can. Just don’t tell me or Wilbur about it. (I think of bacon, but not shrimp, as "meat" because of how shrimp don't have feelings. Nor can they charm spiders into writing ad copy for them.))

When veggies are translucent add shrimp. You know how to cook shrimp, right? Just don’t go crazy and overdo them.

Don’t forget to salt & pepper. Why not throw in a little paprika too?

Deglaze with white wine and cream. Yes, more cream. (I mean, really, it’s not like you’re making shrimp and grits everyday. Go ahead & getchur cream in there.) 
"I take pride in my grits." 

Throw it on top of your grits and eat out of your fanciest bowl. If you have scallions around, those are pretty on top.

Do not leave unattended around cats or anyone else with good taste.

Enjoy your world peace carb zen high!


*I don’t measure stuff, but if you’re into that kinda thing, I’d say about 1 small bell pepper, ½ white onion, 2-3 tbsp bacos, 6 shrimps/person.




2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try! Bac-os an inspired idea! What's the bloody Mary game?
    o

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say the words "Bloody Mary" so many times in front of a mirror until she materializes. Didn't you do this in 5th grade? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(folklore)

    I could totally get on board with an adult beverage version of this urban legend--"Bloody Mary extra spicy Bloody Mary extra spicy Bloody Mary extra spicy..."

    ReplyDelete