Sunday, September 19, 2010

Some people get Spring Fever.

It’s that time of year when people who live in parts of the country that don’t produce the most brutal summers ever start talking about stuff like “hanging on to summer” and “relishing the last little bit of the summer season.” Some lady on NPR was trying to tell me some nonsense like this and I think I said out loud to the radio, “WHAT?! YOU ARE CRAZY!”

See, in The Southland it is blazing. And I don’t mean “uncomfortable.” I mean blazing-saddles-95-degrees-and-humid hot.* Which is one reason I am not “cherishing what remains of summer” but doing more like “trying desperately to escape what seems to be summer’s never-ending deathgrip.”

Pretty sure this is totally fake. 
Aside from how wonderful it will be to not feel my guts being slow roasted inside of me every time I go outside, I’ve got Fall Fever for lots of things. I get Fall Fever the way everybody else gets Spring Fever. I can! not! wait! And here’s why!—

not getting destroyed by mosquitoes (as much)

open windows

knitting with really thick wool yarn

pumpkin everything

jeans, sweaters & my orange-flamed cowboy boots

no longer having to see girls on campus walking around in jean diapers

orange mums & changing leaves

butternut squash 

70% off Halloween candy on Nov. 1

Thanksgiving, the best holiday ever


What do you love about fall? 




*Can you guess what's on the horizon? Here's a hint: 



Come back to me, autumn! I promise I'll be good to you! 




1 comment: